With snow in the forecast and dreams of a white Christmas, it’s time to explore 3 fun winter activities in the Berkshires. A lush landscape of rolling hills and verdant meadows painted white with fresh fallen snow beckons you to get outside and play. Break out the woolies and gather your playmates for a chance to enjoy a rollicking good time in the winter wonderland that we call the Berkshires. And, best of all, when you book a stay the Staveleigh House Bed and Breakfast in Sheffield, MA, your winter playground is just minutes away.
Skiing and Snowboarding
If downhill is your game, you’ll have your choice of slopes to tackle.
- Ski Butternut, in Great Barrington offers over 100 skiable acres, with 60% dedicated to intermediate skiers, and the balance divided between black diamond and beginner. Add a sculpted terrain park for the thrill seekers, and 2 lodges for after-ski action, and you’ve got the perfect recipe for a fun day on the slopes.
- Jiminy Peak, in Hancock, MA is a great destination for beginners and families. But the daredevils among you will appreciate the advanced steep long trails that will challenge your skills.
- Bousquet Mountain, in Pittsfield, MA has been welcoming skiers since 1932. One of the first to introduce snow-making and night skiing, Bousquet has a long tradition of offering winter fun for the whole family. A great ski school mountain, Bousquet produced its share of Olympians over the years.
- Catamount Mountain Resort, in Hinsdale, NY, is one of the best mid-sized ski resorts in the area. Priding itself on offering a diverse network of challenging terrain, perfect for all level of skiers, Catamount offers 42 trails to tempt you.
Sledding and Tubing
Can anything be more fun than dashing down a mountain on a sled, tube, or toboggan? Many ski resorts in the Berkshires have welcomed this new way to enjoy the snow, with groomed trails and lifts. No need to bring any special equipment for these thrill rides. Just bundle up and get ready to revisit your inner child at any of these ski resorts.
- Ski Butternut, 380 State Road, Great Barrington, MA
- Bousquet Mountain, 101 Dan Fox Drive, Pittsfield, MA
Nothing beats lacing up some ice skates and taking a whirl around an outdoor rink in winter. Of course, you can find indoor rinks to skate on as well, but the purity of gliding on ice outdoors brings back childhood memories of frozen mittens and steaming hot chocolate. Test your skills at any of these great outdoor rinks.
- Canterbury Farms Pond, Beckett, MA
- Public Ice-Skating Rink, at the Lenox, MA Community Center
- Monterey Outdoor Ice Pavilion, Monterey, MA
For ideas on where to snowshoe in the Berkshires, read our last blog post Best Places to Snowshoe in the Berkshires.
At the end of your day in the great outdoors, come back to the warm and cozy Staveleigh House Bed and Breakfast. Grab a cup of tea while you thaw out in front of a roaring fire. You’re sure to sleep well after all that fresh air.