Apples and berries and pies, oh my! It’s all farm fresh in the Berkshires of western Massachusetts. Whether you’re looking for a local farmers market, farm stand, or pick-your-own produce vendor, you’ll have lots to choose from when visiting us at the Staveleigh House Bed and Breakfast in Sheffield, MA. We take full advantage of the bounty around us when preparing breakfast for our guests. Farm fresh eggs, Berkshire maple syrup, hand-picked fruits and vegetables from nearby gardens, and fresh-brewed coffee from a local roaster are the key ingredients for our gourmet breakfasts.
But it doesn’t have to stop at breakfast. Pack a cooler and bring home some farm fresh local produce to enjoy with friends and family. Break out your favorite recipes for homemade apple or blueberry pie, flaky tarts and turnovers, compotes, jams or jellies. You can pick-your-own highbush blueberries, gather a bushel of crisp apples, and grab a quart or two of sweet apple cider. We dare you to resist indulging in a warm cider donut while browsing the aisles of our local farm orchards.
So, here in a nutshell are our favorite local spots for reaping the bounty of Berkshires.
Farmers Markets: A selection of the finest fresh fruit and produce from local farmers.
- Sheffield Farmers’ Market: Fridays, 3:00-6:00 PM
Old Parish Church
125 South Main Street, Sheffield, MA
- Great Barrington Farmers Market: Saturdays, 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM
18 Church Street, Great Barrington, MA
- West Stockbridge Farmers Market: Thursdays, 3:00 – 7:00, Merritt Green on Harris Street, West Stockbridge, MA
- Salisbury Farmers Market: Saturdays, 10:00 AM – 1:00 PM, 33 Main Street, Salisbury, CT
- Taft Farms: Open daily, 8:00 AM – 6:00 PM, 119 Park Street North, Great Barrington, MA
Apple Orchards: Though a couple of these are a bit further afield, if you want to pick-your-own these are our top choices.
- Bartlett’s Apple Orchard, 575 Swamp Road, Richmond, MA
- Hilltop Orchards, 508 Canaan Road, Richmond, MA
- Jaeschke’s Orchard, 23 Gould Road, Adams, MA
- Lakeview Orchard, 94 Old Cheshire Road, Lanesborough, MA
- Riiska Brook Orchard, 101 New Hartford Road, Sandisfield, MA
- Windy Hill Farm, 686 Stockbridge Road, Great Barrington, MA
Farm Stands: Farm fresh stands offering the best of what’s in season.
- Boardman Farm, 64 Hewins St., Sheffield, MA
- Moon in the Pond, 816 Barnum St., Sheffield, MA
- Gould Farm Roadside Store & Café, 275 Main St., Monterey, MA
- North Plain Farm and Blue Hill Farm, 342 North Plain Road, Great Barrington, MA
Once you’ve tasted one of Chris’s farm fresh frittatas or her crisp Belgian waffles with fresh fruit and whipped cream, you’ll definitely want to visit one or two of these local purveyors to bring farm fresh Berkshire produce home with you.