If you’re passionate about art and music, attending an event at the Tanglewood Learning Institute (TLI) is a “must do”. The new $64 million dollar expansion to the Tanglewood campus in Lenox, MA, known as the Linde Center for Music and Learning, is the heart and soul of TLI, and brings to fruition a 25-year initiative to expand the cultural offerings at the storied home of the Boston Symphony Orchestra.
After a successful inaugural season in 2019, TLI released its spring programming schedule featuring a variety of educational events designed to bring new understanding to visitors with curious minds. This season’s lineup includes immersion weekends, master classes, interactive talks, visual arts experiences, and Boston Symphony Orchestra rehearsals.
Here is just a sampling what’s in store this spring. Plan your visit to the Berkshires and be sure to book your stay with us at the Staveleigh House Bed and Breakfast in Sheffield, MA.
- Fiddle Weekend, March 13-15, 2020: An opportunity to explore all manner of traditional fiddling. Events include dinner, dance performances, jamming, workshops, film screening, and a public showcase to share what you’ve learned.
- Historic Artists’ Homes Weekend, May 15-17, 2020: Discover how preserved sites across the country have served as inspiration through film, music, discussion, and multimedia presentations.
Sunday TLI Concerts
- Balliett, Blach, Francaix, and Barktok, April 5, 2020 at 3:00PM
- Rachmaninoff, All Night Vigil, April 11, 7:30 PM
TLI Open Forums
Reclaiming Our Connection to Nature, April 11, 2020, 2:00-5:00 PM: Uncover the link between music and nature through panel discussion and performance.
Around the World, May 28, 2020: Featuring an afternoon of African drumming and dancing, flowed by a dinner showcasing wine and cuisine from the region.
Martha Graham Dance Company
- Graham’s Greeks Night Journey, March 11, 7:30 PM: A re-imagined and deconstructed presentation of Greek tragedies.
- A Legacy of Innovation: The Lamentation Variations, April 29, 2020, 7:30 PM
Visual Arts Focal Points
Photography, April 25, May 2, 9, and 16, 2020, 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM: An exploration of the architecture and landscape of the Tanglewood campus through the lens of a camera.
Visual Arts: Art Night Out
Block Printing, April 3, 2020, 7:00 PM: Drop- in class teaching the basics of linoleum block carving to create lasting decorative stamps
- Amazing Grace, March 5, 2020, 7:30 PM
- That Part Feeling, April 2, 2020, 7:30 PM
- Echo in the Canyon, May 7, 2020, 7:30 PM
- Dancing to the Music: Exploring the Composer-Choreographer Collaborative Process, March 8, 15, 22, 2020, 3:00-4:30 PM
- Beyond the Music: Exploring the Influence of the Composer-Performer Partnerships: April 26, May 3 and 10, 2020, 3:00-4:30 PM
Check out the Tanglewood Learning Institute’s website for a complete list of TLI events this spring.